Compassion for self and others (Ahimsa)
- Be kind.
- Treat all living beings as you want to be treated.
- Approach yourself and others with a spirit of nonjudgment
- Seek to understand others, rather than judge them.
- Treat yourself like you are your best friend.
- Don’t gossip. It’s hurtful.
- Live honestly.
- Be a person of your word.
- Have courage and conviction to live your truth.
- Be truthful. In the long run, it’s easier to tell the truth.
Not Stealing (Asteya)
- Do not steal anything.
- Be conscious of using only what you need
(electricity, paper, gas, etc.).
- Do not take advantage of people’s generosity.
- Credit others when representing their ideas.
- Practice generosity. Practice giving; be aware of taking.
- Consider the phrase: “what goes around, comes around.”
Self Restraint (Brahmacharya)
- Be sexually responsible; treat yourself and others with
- Think before you act. Consider and talk about all the choices available.
- Practice self-control and limit self-indulgences.
- Cultivate the ability to walk away or say no, especially when you don’t have total trust that things are safe.
Not Grasping (Aparigraha)
- Be aware of and temper your human tendency to be
attached to material things.
- Be mindful of how much you really need.
- Approach change with curiosity and possibility rather
than attachment and loss.
- Explore the impulse for receiving immediate gratification.
- Your body is a temple; treat it that way (smoking, drinking,
food, movies, web sites).
- Examine the effects of your inputs such as magazines, videos, chat groups, food. How do they make you feel? Make intelligent choices.
- Accept yourself in the present and approach the future
with optimism. Find contentment.
- Cultivate gratitude for what you have.
- Rather than feeling sorry for yourself, affect change where
you can and let go of the rest.
- Be aware of your own competitiveness. When appropriate, stop, so as to prevent harm.
- Realize you can’t change other people.
- Accept successes, forgive failures.
Ambition and Zeal (Tapas)
- Do your best.
- Harness your energy to follow good habits.
- Set goals.
- Simply get started. It’s half the battle.
Self Awareness (Svadhyaya)
- Seek to see yourself with clarity.
- Be reflective and learn from your mistakes.
- Be aware of your breath.
- Watch your reaction to things. Learn about yourself by what bothers you.
- Write down your strengths and weaknesses. Ask others to verify.
Devotion to Greater Power (Ishvara Pranidhana)
- Believe that there is meaning to the world.
- Develop trust in your intuition.
- Find what is sacred for you.
- Know your values. Know what you value most.